By guest, Apr 5 2015 04:29PM
Public opinion in High Lane first voiced the need for a Village Hall in the 1930s. Interrupted by war, fund-raising took until 1956 when a wooden building, costing £1650, sited on the present car park was opened.
THE HIGH LANE WAR MEMORIAL VILLAGE HALL OPENED BY THE CHAIRMAN OF MARPLE U.D.C 1ST SEPTEMBER 1956.
The Hall served well for 40 years before being damaged by fire in 1995.
The new brick-built Hall was erected on an adjacent site, leased from Stockport MBC, after the original building was demolished. Local fund-raising and insurance, with a balancing contribution from the National Lottery provided the £450,000 cost.
The first event held after the opening of the new Hall was a Millennium New Year party (a huge success!) and the Hall received Royal approval by HRH Princess Anne making the Official Opening early in 2001.
The new Hall has continued the tradition of providing quality, low-cost facilities ever since! The affordable hire rates are achieved by a completely voluntary committee managing the Hall, with a Caretaker. The new building provides many more facilities for the community than the old hall.